[IPk] going back to injections

Before I start, the moral of this story is "order your consumables in plenty
of time".....

Due to a combination of waiting till I was down to my second last set, and the
system at the hosptial for ordering having changed (which meant that they no
longer keep any stocks there, and they order your sets personally rather than
just keepin genough there to supply anyone who needs stuff) I ended up with 3
Sofsets on Friday (instead of my usual Silhouettes). Went to my boyfriend's
for the weekend. Got on OK with the Sofsets, but after playing softball on
Sunday, the set I had in was hurting, so I changed it. Stilll 2 left. Got back
to Sheffield, went to the hospital to see if my sets had arrived. The nurse
who deals with them wasn't there because of the snow. Fine, I still had one
set left. Then after dancing, the set I had in was hurting too, so I changed
it for my last one. Left the old one in just in case, and I'd had it in an
hour when I thought it was fine, so I took the old one out and went to have a
bath. Was just getting dry and managed to pull the infusion set out with my
towel. I checked around the house, definitely no spare sets of any sort
anywhere (normally I have a few emergency sets lying around).

Nothing for it but to go back to injections. Looked in the fridge for some
Insulatard. 1st pack expired in March 2004 (I've used myt pump for about 6
years now and have never had to go back to injections once in that time).
Found another pack which was still in date by a couple of months. Now, I have
no idea how much Insulatard I took when I was on injections,  but I do know
that I was about a stone heavier then, and that I needed a lot more insulin.
So I took my daily basal total (about 22 units), chopped it in half, and added
a bit more since I know you tend to use less on a pump, and came up with the
extremely arbitrary figure of 12 units to take for the night. I then couldn't
dfigure out how much Humalog to take to tide me over till the Insulatard
kicked in, but I was fairly sure that if I took more than 2 units, I'd be low
within a few minutes. To make things worse, it was now 11.30pm and I really
wanted to go to bed. So I took 2 units of Humalog, 12 units of Insulatard (and
discovered that the new cartridges don't fit in my old pen any more, because
they're the wrong shape or something). Went to bed with a BG of 6.5. I was
terrified to go to sleep, but I figured if anything was drastically wrong I'd
wake up. Woke up at 2am, thought I'd probably be high, and tested at 6.2. Went
back to sleep. Woke up at 7.30am with a BG of  6.4. Blimey, I thought, that's
better than on the pump! I have to say, it was both rather scary and nice not
to be attached to my pump after 6 years of 24/7 with it.

I decided to take more long acting to get me through the day, because I didn't
know if I'd get my sets or not. Luckily I got them at lunchtime, but since I'd
taken the insulin, I thought I'd take a  bit of a break from my pump for the
rest of the day. At first I rather liked the freedom of not being attached to
it, but I soon remembered how annoying it was, when I was sitting in the
hospital waiting for my eye appointment, checked my BG, found it was 12. With
the pump, I'd have given a little correction bolus, but it was a bit more of a
hassle to give another injection (especially without a pen). Same for the rest
of the day, where my BG has bounced up and down considerably. I've just
reconnected now, before I go dancing, because although it would be rather nice
to go dancing pumpless, it'll be a lot more of a hassle to corrrect any wrong
BGs, and I need my BG to be right in order to dance!

I can see why people take little pump breaks, and I might even consider one
again every now and then, or maybe for a dance competition where I have to
wear clothes that don't make it easy to wear the pump. But I'm rather happy to
have my pump back! My boyfriend thought I was a bit mad when i told him last
night that my pump was lonely sat on the chest of drawers looking at me while
I was in bed, and that maybe I should take it into bed with me so it wouldn't
be all sad!!!

Di
PS Yes, I know I should have a backup plan for going back to injections...