RE: [IPk] Pump - good and bad

Hi Marion

I use a Medtronic Paradigm pump - it did have a problem about 6 months ago -
an E21 error (which of course happened on a Sunday)- but I phoned the
International Support Line number - and although the pump was still
functioning OK (just lost its basal rates) a new replacement "loan" pump was
sent out - I just returned my original pump to Medtronic in Watford which
was repaired and returned to me - the whole process was so easy and didn't
cost me a penny. I think it helps that many of the key staff at Medtronic in
the UK use a pump themselves so are aware of the concerns that a pumper may
have - I have found Anne Carrington and Morag McLaren  at Medtronic to be
excellent.

Some of the Paradigms features I find really useful:

1. Bolus / Correction Calculator (Its a little too conservative for me - but
helps moderate what I would have done and so saves a few Hypos!)
2. Remote Control - great when you don't want to broadcast that you are a
Diabetic on a pump or when you don't want (or the time) to have to explain.
3. BG test prompt - great for me - I've always tested before each meal and
going to bed but now I have many more test results 2 hours after eating.
4. Variable correction factors / insulin to carb factors - I have quite
different requirements at different times of day or night (all calculated
for me!)
5. Date/ Time reservoir was started - a good reminder to me to change the
set/ reservoir
6. Insulin Units left along with the time left before I need to refill
(calculated on your basal settings)

I can only think of two features which it hasn't got which could be useful
to some but haven't affected me:

1. Its not waterproof - although there is a waterproof sports guard you can
use to get round this - it is splash proof though and Medtronic will (I
think) replace under warranty pumps which have water damage. I always
disconnect for a shower any how - its one less object in the way when I am
not that awake! I always disconnect for swimming - and I still have to
reduce my basal before going for a swim and eat some carbs and BG is still
roughly in target afterwards.

2. For me it delivers my basal at roughly 6 minute intervals (basal rate
roughly 1.0 unit per hour) if you are more sensitive to insulin then this
interval would be larger. However the basal can be tweaked more with the
Paradigm than some of the other pumps - in steps of 0.05 units which might
make more of a difference than shorter delivery intervals.

Needless to say I am over the moon with my Paradigm and couldn't have asked
for better customer service (and no I don't work for Medtronic!!!!)

Best wishes
Adrian