From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted] On
Behalf Of Adrian Miller
Sent: 19 January 2005 12:19
To: email @ redacted
Subject: RE: [IPk] Pump - good and bad

Hi Marion

Do please remember that there can be an upside to most of the bad points
-
I've added a few from my perspective!

Adrian

>Bad: you are attached to a thing the size of a pack of playing cards

   Upside: You won't ever forget your insulin when you go out - and
tracking
boluses is easier - you can check in the bolus history to see if you
gave
it,

>Bad: Your clinic may only offer one kind of pump - and that means, at
>worst, you are stuck with a kind of pump that isn't ideal for you (and
>far from worst, a pump that doesn't match your fashion sense)
  Upside: Your clinic should know the pump well! You can hide most of
the
pumps - and with the MM pumps you get a remote so it really doesn't
matter
where it is - as long as the infusion set tube will reach and I am sure
most
clinics will give you a choice (when pushed) my Diabetes Nurse said she
wasn't allowed to recommend a pump only demonstrate the available ones
(was
this Hospital Policy or NHS policy?)

>Bad: Some people get inflammation from the glue and/or antibacterial
>agents.

   Upside: Not really one for this one - but in the few this happens a
solution can usually be found which can be quite easy.

>Bad: Some people find the service from a pump company is lower than
they
>would find acceptable from a car hire company - but whereas with a car
>hire company you can write an irate letter, and avoid them in future,
>you are basically stuck with the company concerned. [Effect and Cause]

  Upside: whilst you can't control the service you get from the pump
manufacturer (and mine has been better than I expected) I feel much more
in
control of my Diabetes.

>Bad: the needles for the sets are far bigger/more painful than pens or
>syringes

   Upside: You will probably only have to do it every 3 days - 1
insertion
versus 12 for a 4 shot MDIer. And any corrections needed don't require a
shot!

>Bad: one has to carry around spare insulin, sets, etc. etc. - about 5
>times as much kit as with a pen or syringe.

   Upside: As long as I am within a reasonable distance of home - I
don't
bother with a spare infusion set - no need to carry insulin pens and
needles
on a day trip out.

>Bad: airport hassles (very rare, and becoming less so).

   Upside: No bad experiences here but I did have one on MDI with an
Insulin
Pen (about 15 years ago in the U.S. where pens were none existent!)