Re: [IPk] reply to Ken - ketones

Hi Michele

> if  non-diabetics keep having low blood sugars because they don't eat
> properly
> (enough carbs) and they get ketones this then predisposes them to  developing
> diabetes as the pancreas eventually says 'enough is enough'.  That was what I
> was taught at college anyway,

Now I don't understand the logic here. Why would having repeated low BGs cause
someone to develop diabetes? It's not like the pancreas is working overtime,
it's working undertime because in total it's producing far less insulin than
if someone was eating a high carb diet.

This isn't the same phenomenon as someone who has reactive hypoglycaemia
(where a person's BGs go high after eating a lot of carbs, and then drop low
as a result of the body producing too much insulin to compensate for the high
- at last as I understand it). Reactive hypoglycaemia can leasd to diabetes,
though I don't think it's well established whether the "predisposition to
diabetes" (or whatever you like to call it) causes the reactive hypoglycaemia
in the first place, or the reactive hypoglycaemia (and ensuing overwork of the
pancreas) cause the diabetes (but I think the former is generally thought to
be the case).
Di