Re: [IPk] reply to Ken - ketones

email @ redacted writes:

thanks  for that Ken, yes I appreciate there's a difference between ketones
in
diabetics and those from low carbs in non diabetics BUT........
if  non-diabetics keep having low blood sugars because they don't eat
properly
(enough carbs) and they get ketones this then predisposes them to  developing
diabetes as the pancreas eventually says 'enough is enough'.  That was what I
was taught at college anyway,

Hi Michele
With a low carb diet, there is no difference in ketones in people with or
 without diabetes. I am not sure that I understand what you are saying. Are you
saying that a person without diabetes who is on a very low carb diet is
 putting him/herself at risk of developing diabetes? This would mean that people
on
the  Atkins diet are at increased risk of developing diabetes. Unless I have
missed  something here, I don't think that this is the case.
You also indicated that people without diabetes on a low carb diet get low
blood sugars. Their bgs may drop a little, but because of counter regulatory
 hormones, my understanding is that it rarely drops below about 3.5mmol. Let me
know if I have misunderstood you.
Ken