From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted] On
Behalf Of Melissa P. Ford
Sent: 16 January 2005 01:16
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IPk] Variable insulin resistance etc

Mmm Ken,

I think Pat meant that her meter average is 9 mmol/L, which is not in
the
least equivalent to an A1c of 9. (Pat - please correct me if I'm wrong
there!!!)

It's more like her A1c should be around 7.5-7.7 if her meter average is
9,
at least according to this chart (see below) that I found on Medscape.
[NB
These numbers may have been revised since the DCCT was published and
HbA1c
test standardization became a prioritiy, but I don't think they'll be
far
off.]

One could say that an A1c above 6.5 is in general not so great, but if
>7
but <8  is the best that one can achieve without too much hypoglycemia
and
hypo unawareness, it may be okay as long as one has good genes.

Melissa
Type 1 11+ years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 1 year

HbA1c Value Average Glucose
7% ~150 mg/dL (8.3 mmol/L)
8% ~180 mg/dL (10.0 mmol/L)
9% ~210 mg/dL (11.7 mmol/L)
10% ~245 mg/dL (13.6 mmol/L)
11% ~280 mg/dL (15.6 mmol/L)
12% ~310 mg/dL (17.2 mmol/L)
13% ~345 mg/dL (19.2 mmol/L)
14%  ~380 mg/dL (21.1 mmol/L)
*Nathan DM, et al. N Engl J Med. 1984;310:341-346.