Re: [IPk] Variable insulin resistance etc

email @ redacted writes:

Plus, as  I've described, I think I have very different basal and bolus
needs when  I'm 5 or 8 or 11 or 16 ... and if I drift up from 7.5 to 8, I
don't stay at  8 (although the basal would have been fine, had I stayed
at 7.5, but  instead I flip up to 12.

Here are a few of my thoughts Pat. First and foremost, I would try to bring
down your bgs to get your HbA1c lower. From what you have indicated it is
 (9?), it is far too high. If need be take more tests and any result above 7
give
yourself a correction bolus. Would you consider running your bgs in the
 normal non-diabetic range (4-7)? I wouldn't be too hung up on always correcting
basal  rates because as you know, there are so many variables (insulin
 absorption, hormones, stress, insulin sensitivity, etc.) that can affect the
basal
rate  from day to day that it is bound to change. Instead, I would suggest
 testing more and using correction boluses. The other thing to remember about
bgs
particularly for type 1s, is that any test result is only what your bg is  at
 that particular moment. If you were to test again in 30 minutes you might find
that it is either on its way up or down, perhaps due to your last insulin
 bolus or food eaten rather than a sudden change in insulin sensitivity. Just a
thought. . .
Ken