Re: [IPk] Amazed at what I heard today!

Karen,
You don't say how old this girl is, but I think she should be encouraged to
do her own blood tests asap ? my 7-year-old (now 8) has done his from when
he was first diagnosed in January 2004. Although he's shown no interest in
doing his own injections yet, he gets a great deal of reassurance from
testing wherever and whenever he likes. He carries his snack bag with
glucose tablets, ribena carton and digestive biscuits and his tester with
him at all times and that also enables him to live a 'normal' life in terms
of playing sport or going to friends' houses at short notice knowing that
he can cope with most situations as they arise.

Rob

  "Karen Hennessy"
  <email @ redacted To: <email @ redacted>
  lworld.com> cc:
  Sent by: Subject: [IPk] Amazed at what I heard today!
  email @ redacted
  rs.org
  12/01/05 10:04 pm
  Please respond to
  IP-UK

Hi everyone

>Whilst at work today (I work in a primary school), one of the other
teaching
>assistants came to check that she had done the "right thing" for a year 1
>girl who has diabetes.  Apparently the girl had been complaining of a
tummy
>ache so, following mums directions she gave her a drink of lucozade.
Mum's
>instructions are that if the girl doesn't seem well that we are to give
>lucozade.  I asked the TA what the girl's BS was and she said that they
>don't do it.  I then had a chat with the girl who told me that mummy
pricks
>her finger when she sticks the needle in her leg in the morning and when
she
>sticks the needle in her leg when she goes to bed.  I asked her whether
>mummy pricks her finger any other time and she said no.  Mum apparently
>tells the teacher her BS reading when she drops her off in the morning,
but
>I can't understand how you are supposed to make sure that the girl is
>functioning properly all day on one reading.

Karen
T1 27+ yrs MM508 2 yrs

-------------- Confidentiality Notice & Disclaimer -----------------

This document should only be read by those persons to whom it is addressed
and is not intended to be relied upon by any person without subsequent
written confirmation of its contents. Accordingly, our company disclaim all
responsibility and accept no liability (including in negligence) for the
consequences for any person acting, or refraining from acting, on such
information prior to the receipt by those persons of subsequent written
confirmation.

If you have received this E-mail message in error, please notify us
immediately by telephone. Please also destroy and delete the message from
your computer.

distribution and/or publication of this E-mail message is strictly
prohibited.

H Bauer Publishing                 Phone:      +44 (0)20 7241 8000
Academic House                    Web:         www.bauer.co.uk
24-28 Oval Road
London NW1 7DT