Re: [IPk] Autolet Impression

The whanger production situation is pretty simple. There are factories
around the world that make lancets. Most of these factories are like
computer-part factories: off of this production line comes that brand of
product, off of the other production line comes this brand of product, etc.
But many brands are manufactured under the same roof. That is why you can
buy Therasense branded lancets and Lifescan branded lancets and they are
pretty much the same thing once you have taken off the protective cap.

Some of the companies that own the lancet factories also have design and
production capabilities for lancet whangers. They may design and produce
whangers for the bg meter companies or they might produce the whangers
according to plans supplied by the bg meter companies. Owen Mumford, which
makes the Impression, produces lancets under its own brand name and also for
other companies and will also design a whanger if another company wants them
to. http://www.facettechnologies.com/microsampling.html gives some insight
into the structure of the lancet/whanger industry. Facet Technologies (whose
products I am sure I use) and Owen Mumford are competitors.

The bg meter companies need to give people something to stick themselves
with if they want them to use the meter (how many times have you bought a
small electronic device and forgotten to purchase the batteries?). The
branded lancet whanger can reinforce the brand name too, and if it's a
proprietary system like Soft-Clix, it can generate a bit more revenue for
the company. A lot of people I have met seem to think it's very odd to use
one company's whanger and lancets with another company's meter. That tells
me that the branding message is getting through, because as long as you get
the blood sample it doesn't matter what you poked yourself with!

Cheers,

Melissa
Type 1 11+ years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 1 year