[IPk] Amazed at what I heard today!

Hi everyone

Whilst at work today (I work in a primary school), one of the other teaching
assistants came to check that she had done the "right thing" for a year 1
girl who has diabetes.  Apparently the girl had been complaining of a tummy
ache so, following mums directions she gave her a drink of lucozade.  Mum's
instructions are that if the girl doesn't seem well that we are to give
lucozade.  I asked the TA what the girl's BS was and she said that they
don't do it.  I then had a chat with the girl who told me that mummy pricks
her finger when she sticks the needle in her leg in the morning and when she
sticks the needle in her leg when she goes to bed.  I asked her whether
mummy pricks her finger any other time and she said no.  Mum apparently
tells the teacher her BS reading when she drops her off in the morning, but
I can't understand how you are supposed to make sure that the girl is
functioning properly all day on one reading.

Karen
T1 27+ yrs MM508 2 yrs