[IPk] lack of contact abi's experience - changes in dietetic advice over the years

Hi June

 You will get lots of help from this list, look at archived mail as well. I
think that late 70s early 80s the whole emphasis switched towards a  healthy
eating high carbohydrate type approach. With insulin users I think it was
believed that fixed amount of insulin and a good helping of healthy
carbohydrate ingested regularly throughout the day was all that was needed
regardless of type of diabetes etc. and of course easier to teach and master.
The old carb counting which many of us experienced was to have a fixed amount of
insulin and then each meal was supposed to be based on the same number of
carbohydrate grams each day. However,It was such an advantage developing
carbohydrate values knowledge, I can remember talking to someone who was
diagnosed as T1 in her 30s in the 80s who had no idea about carbohydrate
values and she was taught management was just piling the plate up with a
proportion of carbohydrate each meal to prevent hypoglycaemia and she had blood
!
  sugars all over the place as different glycaemic effects, amounts, etc. were
not matched to an appropriate dose of insulin. I found it amazing that anyone
could be expected to manage with so little knowledge about carbohydrates and
insulin.

Cheers

Fiona T1 37yrs pump 18mths