Re: [IPk] New way to test BG (rumour)

>Tangentially: All you men on this list, where do you keep your
>glucose meters when you're out and about?  Does diabetes force you
>to carry a bag when you wouldn't otherwise?

Errr... I have a gentleman's handbag :-) Plain polished brown
leather. 22cm x 15cm x 5cm. 1 zip opens round 3 sides and opens like
a book, and it has a deep outside pocket and a strap hanging from one
corner.

What's in it? Psion3a PDA in the outside pocket (that's travels
everywhere with me: electronic diary, address book, alarm clock, word
processor, world map, metronome, piano keyboard etc). 17 credit-card
sized things (don't laugh! One says "I am a diabetic"*; 3 health
insurance cards (for me and my 2 boys); Migrosbank Swiss cash machine
card; Swiss phone card; Swiss airline Travelclub card; First Direct
cash machine card; German Postbank cash machine card; Local swimming
pool card; German driving license; 2 German railcards (one expires
next week); 2 cash machine cards for an old German bank account;
Citibank Visa card; First Direct Visa card.) Mobile phone. BG meter
(Dex/Esprit). Finger pricker. Spare disc of 10 tests for BG meter. 3
passports (for me and my 2 sons). Cash in 3 currencies: euros, Swiss
francs, British pounds. Spare infusion set. 30 unit syringe and
Actrapid penfill for emergency. German work permit. German residency
permit. A diabetes health record book (same size as a British
passport). And of course shopping receipts and rail tickets from the
last month! (Oh, and a small photo of my wife :-) )

Glucose tablets live in one trouser pocket - the pump in the other.

What have got in there that I shouldn't have there? OK - I live near
the Swiss border, and I go there quite a lot. So I need Swiss bank
accounts etc. And I'm in Britain quite a lot, so I need British bank
accounts. And I need German bank accounts. By law I need my (and my
sons') passports with me at all times. (Someone told me that recently
a court case established that because the British don't require you
to carry your passport at all times, the Germans can't force the
British to in Germany. Fine. But they can force you to present
yourself at a police within 7 days with your passport - if they want
to - so I carry it with me. I once didn't report an incident I
witnessed in Zurich because I didn't have my passport with me!)

And I had my handbag even before I had my pump. It had bottles of
insulin instead of spare infusion sets!

John

*I am a diabetic. Hate that. Diabetic is an adjective. Diabetes is
the noun. I have diabetes.
--
mailto:email @ redacted
http://www.webshowcase.net/johnneale