[IPk] lack of contact Abi's experiences

In message <010d01c4f80f$37e7ea00$email @ redacted>, June Searle
<email @ redacted> writes
>I am new to this list and joined as I am having problems with my pump and
>control at present and need to talk to others.  I have had diabetes since
>1961 and was taught to use carbohydrates from the beginning.  It is only
>recently that I have joined a list a was very surprised to find that this
>sort of education is not given.  How do people work out their insulin if
>they don't know carbohydrate values?  Why did they dieticians change from
>this method?

Hi June,

I don't know ... I would guess that it is because dieticians rarely see
type 1 diabetics, only infrequently see diabetics on insulin, but mostly
see diabetics using pills, or diet and exercise alone to control their
diabetes.

If you are not using insulin, then keeping down the total carbohydrates
and total calories being ingested at any one time (i.e. eating less, and
eating low GI foods, and/or "grazing") is all you need to do.

The other thing the dieticians (very rightly) worry about is the number
of diabetics who die from heart disease.  So they added to the 'eat
less, and eat low GI foods' message, 'eat heart-healthy foods'.

What they forgot was, while this suits 90-odd percent of the diabetics
they see perfectly, it's utter nonsense for type 1 diabetics.

For us, the first priority is to balance insulin and food (and exercise,
and life) so that we don't die from hypoglycaemia tomorrow, and have a
life worth living until we die (and we're all going to die, unless the
predictions of some religions come true!).  Some argue that living an OK
life now is more important than not dying from a heart attack tomorrow,
some argue that OK life now, and a long life have equal importance - but
whichever: a "healthy diet" (to get you a long life) is never going to
be enough while an "assessed diet" (i.e. one in which you count
carbohydrate, or calories and carbohydrate, or whatever you have to do
to be able to predict how much insulin to take or food to eat, if you
are on fixed insulin doses) is essential.

Rant over!  To return to your post, June: what is it you are having
trouble with?

Best wishes,

Pat
dm 30+, 508, having trouble herself right now, and will try and phrase
this into a post tomorrow....
--
Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted