Re: [IPk] No Blind Mice. Thanks To UF Scientists.

Hi Jackie
Vitrectomies are only done as a last resort because they are very very risky,
and if they don't work, you can lose all your sight in that eye.
Usually the only time they'll do them is either if you have a detached retina,
or if you have a bleed in your eye that won't clear by itself. By replacing
the vitreous fluid, basically the blood sticks to it and they suck it all out
(nice). So it's really more of a side effect that you're less likely to have
problems with bleeds etc once you've had a vitrectomy. I don't think it causes
any particular problems long term, it's just the risk factor involved. And
 it's not a pleasant operation to have done (it took me several weeks of
recovery).
Di