[IPk] Re: HbA1c

I think Jackie is absolutely correct here, in that any glucose molecule
in the blood, regardless if it was originally part of the most stickly
sweet or chocolate or part of an apple, can form a molecule of
glycosylated haemoglobin. The questions about why Danielle's HbA1c is
higher than Barbara's must relate either to the fact of less good
overall control (i.e. more time spent with high BG, due to a less good
balance between carbohydrate intake and insulin injected, perhaps
relating to the amount of high glycaemic index foods, but perhaps not)
or to other factors.
Regarding high glycaemic index foods (and ignoring the thought that
eating a lot of high GI foods may not be so healthy for anyone,
diabetic or not), the action curve for a given insulin is not exactly
the same for everyone. For example, some people (like me) can often
return very nicely to normal BG within 1 - 1.5 hours after eating say a
piece of cake with the right bolus of humulog. But things can be
complicated - for example if I then ate another identical piece of cake
during that time, and gave another identical bolus, I would not get
back to normal BG without further adjustment, because I would not have
started off at normal BG when eating the second piece. One thing that I
learnt from using the CGMS a few years ago was that bolusing a little
in advance of eating can improve the match of the insulin bolus and
high carb foods, resulting in faster return to normal BG - but I'm not
sure if this is practical for kids - it isn't always practical for me
either.
Another factor that can influence HbA1c is bleeding - for example due
to menstruation - if you lose some of the glycosylated haemoglobin
through bleeding, your body then synthesizes more haemoglobin that is
not initially glycosylated, so regardless of how high your BG's, your
HbA1c will be a little lower than if you were not losing blood each
month due to menstruation.
Also some people just have higher HbA1c than others - for reasons that
are not completely understood.
Nanette

> Hi Barbara
>

> Well I see what the nurse is getting at, but if I have grasped things
> correctly about glucose metabolism and the binding of glucose to the
> red
> blood cells ('glycosylated haemoglobin) this isn't quite the full
> explanation.  Whatever the cause for the raised BG, the blood cant
> differentiate between what was originally sweet food and other
> starchy food
> that was processed into glucose.   So as far as the body is concerned
> it
> doesn't matter what the source of the glucose came from.  However the
> effect
> of the higher glycaemic food is that it is taken into the blood steam
> at a
> much faster rate and then there are post meal high blood glucose
> levels for
> quite sometime after eating these.  If you looked at a graph of the
> blood
> glucose levels, plus the graph of the insulin action, you would see
> that
> with some high glycaemic foods that the lines don't marry.  Which
> means that
> the glucose in the blood is raised before the action of the insulin
> can
> begin to work.  This means that during this period where the actions
> don't
> marry that there is glucose binding to the red cells.    So if you
> checked
> Danielle's BG after eating sweets, she may well spike up quite high,
> but if
> you check the BG 1.5 to 2 hours later, her levels would be back to
> normal
> and you would necessarily know what had happened.   I suppose if you
> have
> more fast acting glucose to deal with, the harder it will be to
> exactly
> match the glucose levels and insulin action.  Novorapid and Humalog
> don't
> work quite as fast as people think they do.
>
> The way around this maybe to eat less sweets, cakes etc, to eat sweet
> food
> after eating a normal meal, so that the lower glycaemic foods slow
> down the
> absorption.  Chocolate and ice cream are absorbed more slowly due to
> the
> high fat content, so might have less of a spike.  Maybe its time to
> think
> about weaning Danielle off some of the sweeter foods which are not
> good for
> anyone, whether they have or haven't got diabetes.  If she's not
> eating that
> much stuff, then just try and make it at different times, or bolus
> the
> correct amount before she eats.  Don't do this with chocolate or ice
> cream
> [...]
=== message truncated ===