RE: [IPk] Re: What is the FreeStyle NavigatorT Continuous Gluc ose Monitor

Hi Lesley,

I've seen several presentations on the Navigator and thing that really
impresses me is that it would detect the rate of glucose change and notify
the wearer if glucose were dropping quickly even if the blood glucose level
were still above the level for symptomatic hypoglycemia. The idea is like
having a petrol gauge on a car: if you notice you're running low on petrol
before the car actually runs out of fuel, you can prevent the car stopping
suddenly on the road. We're practically running on fumes by the time we get
the symptoms of hypoglycemia. If I got a little alert when my bg were rising
or falling by 2 or more mg/dl per minute, I'd be able to head off high
glucose excursions at the pass and adjust my pump's basal rate before acute
hypoglycemia. That's where the Navigator folks are going in their emphasis
on the clinical utility of the technology.

Also, it has to be said that fingersticks are several minutes behind and
+/-10% compared to venous blood glucose measurements...just because we
consider fingerstick bg measurement the gold standard for home use now
doesn't mean they'll always be the most valuable tooks in our kit. Look at
what happened to urine glucose testing....

How's the Dia-Port goin'?

All best,

Melissa
Type 1 11+ years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 1 year