[IPk] New way to test BG (rumour)

If you could test your BG without pain, without using up any significant
material resources or producing any waste, without your doctor telling
you you were doing it too often and wasting NHS money, and without
having to wash your hands or do any other preparation, how often would
you do it?

A company called Lein Applied Diagnostics is working on a device that
uses "optical techniques" to measure the glucose content of the aqueous
humour in the eye.  I work in the Oxford Centre for Innovation, an
"incubator" for new technology companies (I work for one of said
companies, not for the centre), and one of their functions is to help
companies find funding.  Whenever they have a success that gets reported
somewhere, a newspaper clipping appears on the centre notice board, and
that's how I know about this company, which is based in Berkshire.
There's a picture of their prototype meter accompanying the article.  It
looks like something you might find in an optician's office.  Hopefully
they will eventually (in a few years, I suppose - no need to get excited
yet) produce a version comparable in size to our current glucose meters.
  And then - just think! - once we have one, we'll be able to test as
often as we like for no extra cost, with no need to carry spare strips
around or pick up new batches from the pharmacy.  And no pain.  And no
blood.

The article talks about how the device will encourage people who don't
test often enough to do so more often.  But what about us?  We already
test "often enough".  What will this do to our testing habits?

If the NHS start prescribing them, will they also start telling us to
test more often, since it won't cost them anything extra?

And what's the next step - a non-intrusive CGMS system attached to your
glasses?

Incidentally, there's also a company in the Centre that does glycaemic
index testing, the results being used on food labels.  They're always
looking for volunteers - as a diabetic, I am disqualified, but a couple
of my colleagues have volunteered and have been fed strange things for
breakfast followed by regular BG tests for the next few hours.

	Eleanor