Re: [IPk] Insulin resistence?

Hi Mir,

Physical activity, whether something like massage which moves tissues around
or exercise that involves moving tissues on one's own, can lower bgs in the
short term in 2 ways. The first way is through burning up of glucose in the
body for energy - this is why we often reduce basals before or during or
just after exercise. Second, if one is taking long-acting or
intermediate-acting insulin, you betcha the insulin is stored in the
tissues. Intermediate or long-acting insulin works only if injected into
tissue because it reacts with the tissue. If you put an intermediate- or
long-acting insulin into an IV, it will act faster than injected Humalog.
The old advice to avoid exercising the body part into which one has injected
one's intermediate- or long-acting insulin for several hours after the
injection still stands - otherwise the insulin can be absorbed too quickly,
which can cause a hypo and then a high bg later on (the duration of the
insulin's action can be reduced).

In pumping, we don't worry with intermediate- or long-acting insulin, but
exercising the body part that has an infusion set in it (arm, leg
especially) may cause the cannula to bend internally or make the whole
infusion set fall out (motion + perspiration), so to avoid high bgs or
wasting sets, a hardcore runner may not want to put a set in his or her leg.

As for upper body exercise reducing bgs - ME TOO! Raising hands above waist
level and being active, or doing whole-body exercise like swimming or
rowing, really gets the heart rate up and uses energy. If my bg is in a good
range when chores need doing, I won't wash walls or sweep/mop floors. My
heart rate goes up and I wind up exerting myself much more than if I were
just using my legs.

Melissa
Type 1 11+ years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 1 year