RE: [IPk] Insulin resistence?

Hi Mir,

Sure, insulin resistance can happen while pumping. Hormones are the most
likely cause in women and children. You should check with Grace's DSN before
making big adjustments to her basals, but my guess is that she's a growing
girl whose insulin requirents are increasing because of growth hormones.

What Grace ate over Christmas shouldn't have any effect on her insulin
requirements now unless she gained a few pounds, in which case her insulin
requirements would go up a bit because of increased body mass. Her activity
level could certainly be affecting her bgs, though - has she been less
active in the past several days because of weather, playmates not being
available, etc.? Or could she be coming down with a cold or another
infection? Impending illness raises a lot of folks' bgs for a few days even
before symptoms show up.

You may want to set a temporary basal rate for several hours that's just 10%
more than her usual rate during that part of the day to see if her sugars
improve with that. If so, then Grace's basals may need to be increased
'round the clock. If not, try 20% more than usual on day 2 (&etc. but it's
unlikely she'll need more than 120% of her current basal in one adjustment).
Of course you do check her bg frequently anyway, but as always one should
check bgs frequently when one has made any basal adjustments. And if Grace
starts going hypo more often with the increased basals, of course reduce
them!

Hope that helps,

Melissa
Type 11+ years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 1 year