Re: [IPk] Happy New Year and an Insulin pump

That's super news Jackie.
On saline, we really felt the whole 24/7 bit. Mainly in the relief of taking
it off. Once we started pumping, the experience of Diabetes became so
different, the pump became a trustworthy friend.  Demonstrating it to a
friend who has D.for 30years, I asked Grace how she felt attached to it all
the time. Grace said "I can't wait to get it off" Taken aback, I was about
to ask her if she wanted to give up pumping. Grinning Grace added " I can't
wait to stop wearing the pump, because the only time I'll give the pump up
is when there is a cure".
To me the question of attachment issues may benefit from a different
approach. What if it was just seen as a symptom of insuffiencent support to
get to a place of acceptance of Diabetes. I appreciate that for adults it
may be more of a choice but no one suggests if we ask our kids if they want
testing or injections. If it causes stress then perhaps there would be
benefit of considering support on general D. issues first? I struggle with
the idea that the improved A1c can be dismissed in deference to a reminder
of D. I'd love if we could escape D. but it's not an option!
My biggest psychological adjustment was flashbacks to all the routine
heartbreak times. So many of them evaporated with the pump. And in the space
left, the memories hit me in the face. Be it drama queen and lots of
transference, but Halloween night I lay in bed with tears rolling down
thinking of you and others and how deeply unjust it is that our kids are
robbed unnecessarily of their childhood's. You have a much better handle on
D. that I have, so maybe the pump won't be as dramatic in your lives. I just
look forward to the days when lectures by Staff on pumps includes the
percentages of parents and kids who have demanded to give them back!!!!. For
my part, I think there is such a lot of nonsense talked about pumps. They
are not perfect but no one challenged me about Grace possibly feeling
attachment issues to diabetes or injections. We have infinitely more freedom
in our lives now.
And it feels good. I struggle that if parents had a notion of how
transformed their lives might be, there would be an outcry about the
injustice of the NICE guidelines. The pump has given Grace her sparkle and
joi de vivre back. For me it begs the question, what is health?
Of course the pump isn't for everyone but "everyone" doesn't take the time
to avail of lists etc. I seriously doubt there is anyone on the lists who
would not benefit from a pump. I am so deeply glad that you have gotten this
far. You and Sasha deserve it, Jackie. After a few months it will seem so
simple. Demanding at times. 10pm Christmas night and a tired bunny ripped
her set out pulling her jammies up. Coping with it, felt lots easier than
coping with dramatic hypos. In ten minutes she was tucked up asleep and
slept in range all night.
It's magic news! Happy New year!!
Mir
Mum to Grace 5yrs dx 10.03 pumping Oct 6th