[IPk] Happy New Year and an Insulin pump

Hi All

Just to say that we have received a confirmation letter this morning from
Gloucester Royal to say that Sasha fits the criteria for insulin pump
therapy and that after attending carb counting classes (I know, I know, we
do that already, but they have to go through the checks) and be accessed by
a psychologist that we are OK to have a pump. Things should begin to moving
forward in the next few months. I have been to one carb counting session.
A warning at the end of the letter says that if at anytime they think that
things are not working out, they reserve the right to remove the pump and
for Sasha to return to conventional therapy.  We knew this already.   So
brilliant news for 2005.  Has anyone else had to be seen by a psychologist
before having a pump?  I was told that the psychologist would need to meet
the whole family, probably at home.  I assume that they want to check that
we are not a bunch of alcoholics or drug users, who would not look after
Sasha properly and that Sasha understands that she will have something
attached to her 24 hours a day and that she wants to go ahead with pump
therapy herself, rather than us telling her that its the best thing. Of
course I don't know exactly how Sasha will feel with something always
attached to her.  It might be a constant reminder of her diabetes, but then
she has never said "Why me" or really got upset about having diabetes, or
that she has so many injections a day.  The constant reminder at the moment
is the hypos and hypers.

Jackie
Mum of Sasha aged 10 dx 1999, twin sister Rebecca, both coeliac 2001
Mum also to Danni and Nicola, wife to Terry