Re: [IPk] Ketone testing

"I'd be interested to see the study you refer to. The tests I was
alluding to were bicarbonate levels, which give an indication of the level of
acidosis - this is the really dangerous part of DKA"

Caroline, I shall see if I can find this paper. I certainly agree with you
about the importance of the bicarb levels. The interesting thing about the
study was that when patients with DKA were recovering, the ketone levels of
beta-hydroxybutyrate closely followed that of the bicarbs. In other words,
the blood ketones could have been used as the diagnostic tool to follow the
patients recovery. And it is a much simpler and quicker test to perform.