[IPk] Testing

I have been asked several times what exactly I do with so many strips.
Doh! I test my blood sugar.

The comments that really annoyed me that were if I wanted so many a
month (we're talking 4-5 boxes here) then I would have to come in to
the surgery every two weeks as I couldn't get them all on one
prescription! Apparently its all the pharmacists' fault because they
resent getting only one dispensing fee for sticking labels on four
boxes instead of two. Even if that were true (and I doubt it, my
parents are pharmacists and doubt it too) then surely they could write
out two separate prescriptions each with two boxes on it. Simple!

I was also told that I couldn't have two different types of strips on
my repeat. I have two meters and wanted the others available to me so I
could get them without having to waste mine or my GP's time by taking
up an appointment. What they completely failed to grasp was that having
them there did not suddenly mean I was going to use more strips. They
got the point when I wasted an appointment obtaining strips after my
usual meter broke and I had to revert to my spare.(and I now have both
on my repeat)

This is yet another example of two things. 1)NHS short sightedness -
failing to see that a little money spent now so we can keep our
condition in check will likely save a fortune later; and 2) the
complete failure of some medical professionals (who really should know
better) to see the differences between type 1 and type 2. This one
really bugs me. The number of times I've been asked what tablets I'm on
and even whether I'm diet controlled ! I'm a 23 year old, relatively
slim person - quite obviously a more likely candidate for type 1, yet
its so frequently assumed I'm type 2, and, worse still, there is
sometimes surprise that I'm not! grrrr. I sometimes wish that the two
conditions had different names. I accept they mostly share the same
symptoms and sometimes the same treatment, but the aetiology and, for
the most part, the management, are so different. Type 1's need to test
frequently, both for our safety, and because we can act on the results
to improve control.

Caroline Batistoni