Re: [IPk] question - off topic! - Melissa

What I was trying to say about urine bg testing is that it shows what your
bg was like about 4 hours or so ago. It does not tell you a thing about what
your bg was even 5 mins. ago unless your bg has been the same for the past
several hours. It is _useless_ for determining what your bg is at the second
you're peeing on the strip. Glucose testing via urinalysis has never told
anyone the same information that a Pocketscan or similar modern meter

Having high glucose in your urine--say, 14--at the minute that you have
glucose in your blood--say, 3.4--tells you that your bg was high some hours
ago and has since dropped low. That sort of info is good to have if you're
on an intermediate or long-acting insulin and you're not sure what might
have happened while you were asleep, for example. It could even be
interesting if you're on a pump, though hopefully many of us get better
hypo/hyper sensititivity out of tighter control so that we might actually
wake up when we go too low or feel distinctly bad when we're quite high.

I hope things get better! Tell 'em your bg test strips really don't taste
_that_ good and you're only testing so you don't DIE; if your practice has
problems at that rate they can go...well, I won't say what they can go do.
Oh, and about ketone testing being 'no longer necessary': did your clinic
think you had been kidnapped by aliens and your body altered so that it
would never produce ketones again?!