From: "Abigail King" <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Subject: Re: [IPk] question - off topic! - Melissa
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 10:55:17 -0000
 > And then they want to _halve_ some *type 1s'* allotments of bg test
strips because some *type 2s* are testing 'too often' (personally, I've
never met a type 2 who tests often enough, but whatever).
Have you had to fight to get enough strips?

I can see the argument re type 2 to a certain extent, especially if v. early
in course of disease and when obesity/ insulin resistance is the major
problem, so a longterm change in dietary habits will be the most important
factor in improving control. Of course you can't adjust oral hypoglycaemics
according to BG to the extent that you can insulin, And as far as I am awre
there isn't such a hypo risk (i wonder whether those on sulphonylureas
should be checking BG before driving just in case)
What about type 2s who have to go on insulin. I wonder if strips are often
rationed to 50 a month still as they are still type 2s?