Re: [IPk] question - off topic!

Hi Helen,

Get some ketone test strips!! DKA should be a DIY diagnosis--you should not
wait until you are being carried off to A&E to know whether you are headed
for trouble. Neither should you have to call your doctor or DSN, as far as I
am concerned!

Ketones can show up in urine before or in the absence of other physical
symptoms of DKA. The principle on which the Atkins Diet (evil, evil, perhaps
the only thing worse than 70/30 insulin!) works is that it causes people to
burn protein and fat for fuel, just as happens in DKA, but the non-IDDM
Atkins Diet followers just provoke the _effects_ of DKA by depriving
themselves of carbs, rather than suffering from lack of insulin to get
ingested carbs to the cells that need them. I still think that ketones are
ketones and ketones are toxic: I don't like to hear of anyone I know using
the Atkins Diet. Anyway, off that soapbox: point is that you can definitely
produce ketones before you actually have DKA, and you can most certainly
check whether they are there before you are seriously ill.

General question: is it uncommon to keep ketone test strips at home or to
know where to get them in the UK? I was under strict orders to carry ketone
test strips with me all the time when I was younger, and every decent
pharmacy in the US has  at least several boxes on-hand at all times. As for
my own use of the strips, when I realised that I seem to have a very high
threshold for ketone production I got lazy about carrying them. Do I need a
prescription from my GP to obtain some just in case?

IDDM 9+ years; MiniMed pumper 6+ years; amazed at the inadequacy of diabetes
education in this country 2+ years