Re: [IPk] NICE Funding

>In a message dated 1/13/2003 6:15:26 PM GMT Standard Time,
>email @ redacted writes:
>> .  It is possible to demolish each
>> of the reasons, until they have to say 'we have decided that saving your
>> life isn't worth it'.
>Hi Pat,
>I realise that I'm being naive here, but how do you effectively answer the
>response "No money left"?  I intend to write again at the beginning of the
>financial year, but anticipate a  "still overspent...no money for extra
>expenditure" type response.  Any ideas?
This is my response when people ask me to buy advertising at work, and
the response of adults when children beg for unsuitable food or toys.
The problem _isn't_ that I've got no money for a full-page ad, or that
the mother doesn't have the money for an ice cream.  The problem is that
I've decided to put the money into a training programme, and the mother
has decided to spend the money on bread.

So you need to attack the descision on what to spend the money on.

Ask for a breakdown of the budget when they are in budget-setting mode
(probably October or November).  Acknowledge that they have already
spent more money than they've got, but ask why they are budgeting
amounts for non-life-threatening conditions (e.g. fertility!!!!) when
they don't have enough to do simple, proven, cost-effective things like
pumps, which will enhance the tax-paying life, and thereby have a
positive effect on their budget in later years.

Best wishes,

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)