Re: [IPk] Confused

I'm not surprised - yes, bugs and stress and lack of sleep can all upset
control.  For 24 hrs after a hypo, you may find things are off, too.

On the 'good bgs but ketones' - this is something that has caught a few
of us with infections.  Whereas before we would have had bgs in the 20s,
and realised we were sick, and maybe had a day off work, we now just up
the basal, take corrective boluses, and continue to live 26hr days. If
the energy requirement is rising significantly (and it takes a great
deal of energy to fight some bugs), then even if CHO intake remains
normal, ketones can develop - but often we eat less when feeling a
little grotty.  My solution is to do what the 'normals' do: drink plenty
of sweet liquids (and bolus for them, of course).  It seems odd,
nauseous with ketones, to be sucking glucose tablets!

I hope you feel better soon,

(dm 30+, 508 1+, marvelling at how well 'normal' people feel when they
feel sick, compared to how diabetics feel)

In message <email @ redacted>,
email @ redacted writes
>Something is a little confusing to me at the moment.  My bloods appear all but
>perfect over the past 14 days 4 - 9.  However last week I end up with
>Ketoacidosis.  hadn't checked for Ketones because of good blood sugars, even
>though I did feel like death.  Last night I went to bed with a good blood sugar
>7.4.  Yet two hours later I woke up with a soaking wet bed from sweat and my
>blood sugar was down to 1.2.  Took hypostop and awoke five hours later to find
>it was 11.4.  I've had a bug recently and also attended a funeral which
>incorporated overnight train travel and about 6 hours sleep in 72 hours.  Could
>this be the reason?  I've not had a "wet bed" hypo since going on the pump
>nearly a year ago.  Any "Hints tips or suggestions" anyone.

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)