Re: [IPk] Re: various lifespan of insulins

Personally, I think mdi _is_ inconvenient ... but if it gives better
control / flexibility, that's a trade off.

So ask her: does she mind having to stick to the same lunch time each
day, and the same lunch each day, or would the freedom to skip lunch
occasionally, sometimes eat a little, or eat late, be a boon, and
carting around the kit be a price worth paying for that?

The long-term benefits of better control may be much more difficult for
her to balance against the inconvenience - teenagers tend to work on
much shorter time-frames than adults, and many adults find working with
the inconvenient life vs longer life balance a bit much!

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 1+, mistress of shortermism, herself)

In message <email @ redacted>, Louis Anson
<email @ redacted> writes
>what should I say to my friends 14 year old sister - diagnosed a year ago ,
>still in honeymoon phase, and on Mixtard/Insulatard/Actrapid mixture.  She
>tells me that the consultants keep asking her wether she would like to go
>onto Insulatard/Humalog MDI, but that this would be 'inconvenient' (read
>embarassing I think too) for her at during lunch time at school.  Hmmmm...
>Oh.... and she wanted to know all about the pump.
>'Unfortunately soime people would find 4 injections aborrhent and would
>take to having to mix " clear" and "cloudy" in a syringe , Even if it
>no flexibiliy and aborhent control. It is surprising that some people do
>take so lttle interest. What is more surprising is they survive as long
>they do'
>Chat online in real time with MSN Messenger http://messenger.msn.co.uk

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)