Re: [IPk] Re Attitude of Health Care Professionals

In message <email @ redacted>, Heather Bowler
<email @ redacted> writes
>I really have a problem with the 'mainly behavioural' part. Yes, I know it's
>saying 'mainly' so it gives a bit of an opt out but I still find it a fairly
>damning (by implication) statement. Am I being touchy?

Always wanting to think the best of folk, I could interpret 'mainly
behavioural' as meaning 'the patient has to take control, and use the
given tools in a way which is more marked in diabetes than in the
treatment of some other conditions' - just as the contraceptive pill and
sheaths are 'mainly behavioural' in action, whereas vasectomies are
'mainly non-behavioural'.

But it's an interesting question (and under-researched) - to what extent
can quality of life (i.e. hba1c multiplied by a factor indicating amount
of time spent hypo) be correlated to 'compliance' and to what extent to
what the patient is being asked to comply with. It's difficult research
to frame, because of the complexity of human beings.

Have you complained to D.UK about this statement?

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 1+, not touchy, but perhaps a bit touched)
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)