Re: [IPk] Various 'lifespans' of insulin(s)

In message <email @ redacted>, Melissa Ford
<email @ redacted> writes
>he people who developed it back in the day probably couldn't be
>bothered over a 4-hour margin of error.

Well, the first long-acting to be invented was Protophane (in the
1930s), and if you mixed it with regular (actrapid to us), the activity
curves of the two changed a bit - R got its peak later, and Protophane
got it's peak earlier, which obviously wasn't a good thing, for a lot of
people (although, diabetes being what it is, it probably was exactly
right for some!).

So when NPH came along in the 1940s, and could be mixed in the same
syringe with R, allowing a twice-daily injection rather than four or
five, it seemed like a godsend.  I don't know what the margin of error
with Protophane is - 4 hrs or so, I guess!

What's really abhorrent is not that doctors are still prescribing
insulatard/NPH, because, for some people, it's stable enough, and has
exactly the right peak to deal with the dawn effect / lunch ... but some
doctors are prescribing pre-mix which effectively prevents any variation
in the diet, and the treatment of unpredictable highs.

We've come a long way, m'dears ...

Best wishes,

(deeply engaged in thesis avoidance this evening!)
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)