> Michael,
> This was some time ago but I've just been sorting through. Excuse me
> for being dense but what calculation do you do for measuring by
> volume? I know the dry weight carbohydrate content and short of
> cooking my son's weighed pasta separately I'm confused....
> Heather
I look at the package and calculate the total carbs for the whole
package, then measure the total volume of the pasta, rice, whatever
that is cooked up and do the ratio for the portion served. I don't
recall what it is for cooked pasta now (Lily's at college now 2 yrs)
but it is relatively constant for most kinds after you measure a few
(sort of like generic bread). Rice is similar. You have to decide if
you want to measure the rice "fluffed" or "packed" to be consistent.

The volume measurements are much more consistent than weight because
of the variability of water content in the cooked product and unless
you want to weigh dry and cook only that portion to be eaten that
needs carb counting, dry weight measurement is a hugh hassle (and
doesn't work at resturants). Re: resturants, Lily now just eyeballs
stuff, but before she got good at that, we'd just ask for an empty
water glass -- usually they come in standard sizes 8,10,12 oz that
are easily recognized -- same for tea/coffee cups usually 6 oz.