Re: [IPk] Re Attitude of Health Care Professionals

Hi Pat
That's actually been my experience since going on the pump. Even when I
first went on it, I pretty much sorted everything out myself, with my
diabetes team there to back me up if I got stuck or anything went wrong.
After the first few months when I returned to see my consultant (without
doubt the best one I've ever had) he wsa thrilled about my improved control,
and more importantly to him, that I was so much happier, and he was very
happy to take a back seat, let me control my diabetes "since I clearly knew
much more about how to look after myself and what things worked for me than
he would, since I was the patient". He made it clear that he was always
there if I needed him, but that otherwise his role would be to do the MOTs
etc and leave me to the control of my diabetes. Which worked perfectly for
me. When I moved to Sheffield I also got another very good consultant who
immediately realised the same thing - that it was much more beneficial for
both of us if she left me to manage my diabetes and she took care of the MOT
etc and was there if I needed her but wouldn't interfere. You might say I'm
very lucky - and indeed I am - to have such "perfect" doctors, but if I'd
had a halfway decent medical team in the 20 years before that I probably
wouldn't have any complications now.......and I'd certainly have attended
clinics more often rather than skipping visits and making up test results.

When cloning becomes widely available I can certainly nominate 2 consultants
as candidates :-)