Re: [IPk] Re Attitude of Health Care Professionals

In message <001101c2be60$d39e4ce0$email @ redacted>, Abigail King
<email @ redacted> writes
>I spoke to 2
>DSNs at 2 local hospitals, both very approachable but one was of the
>attitude" well we wouldn't be able to give you the appropriate support" the
>other was" well we have one patient on a pump but she went else where for it
>to be initiated. We'd certainly be happy to see you. We could learn". I
>obviously felt that the second clniic would be better but perhaps the first
>one needs a pumper to show them what it's all about!

How anyone who has not supported a pumper can presume to judge what
'appropriate support' would be, I don't know!

I had a conversation with Dr Pickup a few months ago, where we talked
about pumpers actually needing _less_ support than 'traditional'
diabetics.  In fact, I have a vision where in the future some diabetics
would rarely have to see a consultant: they would simply feed up their
meters to a computer which would, rather like the credit card computers,
be watching for abnormalities.  This would be cross-checked by GP clinic
administered tests and by patient self-referral.

Best wishes to all,

(dm 30+, 508 1+, avoiding doing her Dutch grammar)
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)