Re: [IPk] Re: Problems

Re the part of your message I've quoted below, have you complained
vehemently to the tutor's head of department? No tutor should EVER put you
in tears, especially in public, and more especially about your health. As
far as I'm concerned, you've received verbal abuse bordering on
discrimination. Shouting at you was not going to do any positive things for
your adrenaline levels, either--something else he should have known. If this
man isn't stopped now, what's to keep him refusing someone with asthma
access to an inhaler? (Don't say being a medic; he certainly didn't want you
to need your insulin recently!).

If he's your tutor and you're his student, you're helping pay his salary and
it's his job to look out for your best interests, not to give you hell. I'm
glad you lost it in front of him. He needed to see that he upset you. He
might have thought you weren't listening if you had been more composed. If
he's proud of himself for upsetting you, though, that would indicate to me a
power problem on his part. I don't know him to say what his motivation for
yelling at you might have been; all I know is that he was way out of line.

If I heard ANYTHING like what you've told me from someone in Oxford who
happened to be doing clinical work in any hospital anywhere, I would be on
the phone to so many levels of administration so fast the offending tutor
wouldn't know what hit him for days. If you haven't already, e-mail the
welfare rep for your student union, the disabilities rep (if you have one),
the person you deal with in the hospital for personnel matters (if you have
one), your actual supervisor/personal tutor, and the head of department to
request meetings. People need to be held accountable for their behaviour or
they'll never think twice.

IDDM 9+ years; MiniMed pumper 6+ years; in higher education 7+ years;