[IPk] Re: Problems

Thank you for the replies/suggestions I have received from people both on
and off-list. I think there could well be a problem with the Humalog, but
what I don't understand is, if that is the case, why have I had a period of
really excellent control using Humalog? I initially had this kind of problem
when I first began pumping last April. I've also had a couple of set-backs
in terms of general ill health and have spent several periods off the pump
whilst an in-patient, but aside from that everything has been so much better
than I could ever have dreamed for pre-pump. My last A1c was 6.1. I have
ditched the batch of insulin I was using when the problem first started
(won't the NHS love me!) Is it possible for problems with Humalog to develop
after a period, or indeed to wax and wane?

Today has in many ways been even worse, because I've gone from my eight
basals on the pump to a single one with glargine. Sugars may well be lower,
but they are also much more erratic. And I now feel hypo when I reach about

Just had to comment on this, because it made me laugh:

> 'Nooooo', the doctor says, 'You are obviously a BAD person or your insulin
> would work. If you weren't so EVIL--if you didn't tell LIES--maybe your
> blood sugars would be PERFECT, but you insist on doing silly things like
> working for a living, having a family, and exercising (nevermind I told
> to exercise and you know you feel better when you do...oh well, your
> has to be your *fault* at some level, doesn't it?). Now, speaking of LIES:
> your "frequent hypos". How could your HbA1c be over 8% if you EVER had a
> hypo?! You don't even know what a hypo is because you are BAD and you have
> high blood sugars.'

It made me laugh because I know from experience how true it can be. But it
also made me realise how enlightened my own D team are. They spent a
considerable amount of time on Monday morning doing exactly the opposite to
this and attempting to convince me that I wasn't a failure, it wasn't my
fault and that I wasn't doing anything wrong and it most definitely wasn't a
lifestyle problem. They didn't even blame me for ending up in DKA, as they
witnessed my attempts to avoid it. So glad to have them!

>And of course having bad control does
>weaken the spirit so you are less likely to be assertive back and more
>likely to burst into tears and  be accused of being depressive, poor coper,
>low intelligence, weak will power etc..

Also very true. Without wishing to go in to too many gory details, I've been
onn the receiving end of an awful lot of twaddle from clinical tutors in
college of late (people who should definitely know better). The worst one
was a tutor who started shouting at me in the middle of a clinic when I
explained I wasn't feeling well and needed to leave (I had a suger of 33!)
and claiming that it was irresponsible and unprofessional to be ill, I
obviously couldn't look after myself, I obviously wasn't taking any insulin,
my consultant and DSN obviously didn't know how to do their job etc etc.
Feeling as ill as I did, instead of reacting calmly or making any sensible
come backs, I burst into tears. Attitudes like this, that are unfortunately
all too common for me right now, is one of the main reasons I have been
driven to this whole failure frame of mind. I think I've shifted it now
though, partly due to this list, so thank you everyone.