[IPk] Pens for Lantus for Caroline B

Caroline you wrote:

> P.S I'm now using Glargine, and I hate the pen I've been given. The
> cartridge *seems* to fit my Humapen (Lilly) but I'm not sure whether to
> trust it. Anyone used glargine in anything other than an OptiPen?

OptiPens seem to be particularly unpopular, coming in for an enormous amount of criticism in many
diabetes forums.  I posted a question about the pens to alt.support.diabetes.uk where I have seen others
with the same complaint about the pens.

This is what I was told.  (but it is not recommended by Aventis obviously, and probably not your DSN

"Hi Jackie,

I am on Lantus using a Humapen and it works fine.

The only problem is that you have to attach the needle to the casing,
then insert the vial of insulin, THEN screw the casing to the main pen
body. You lose a few units but that's all.

I monitored my BGs closely after that but didn't need to adjust
anything so it I would say it's dosing the same as well.

"Works fine. Dumped my CraptiPen for the HumaPen. No problem.

"From a Mark Hanson"  wrote in message

 "I HAVE used my lantus with my Humapen, it fits fine and SEEMS to deliver the
 same amount of insulin. (A lot more comfortable than the disposable pens)
 not sure what the optipen is like (just got one today)

 My readings have been around the same.

 The only thing i have noticed is that when you load the pen some insulin is
 dispelled (this is probably due to the 8 units the disposables shoot out). I
 mentioned this to my diabetes nurse and she smiled and told me that she can

Mum of Sasha aged 8 dx 1999, twin sister Rebecca, both coeliac 2001
Mum also to Danni and Nicola, wife to Terry