Re: [IPk] Hormone Hassles

Hi Rosemary,

Have you tried tracking your temperature (as per the rhythm method?)

I personally find excitement (adrenalin) is my main killer - woken up
hypo _again_ on the morning of a flight, I now know that I get excited
in my sleep, and need to drop to my 'exercising' level the night before
a holiday.

I wish I had a disetronic pump and could vary the basal by percentages,
as only three is very crude - and when, like me, you have 12 different
rates during the day, ranging from 0.1 to 0.7 p/h (or 0.1 to 0.9, or 0.2
to 1.1, depending on which basal I'm on), then reprogramming simply
isn't an option. (or rather, not having the odd half-hour a day to
adjust insulin rates, makes me a Bad, Non-compliant diabetic!)

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 1+, never content)

>After two years on a pump (and 35 years of diabetes) I've finally worked out
>why no matter how hard I try I never manage decent control. Hormones!! Each
>month is different from the last, which makes it really tricky. I tried
>keeping a daily diary over a three month period, and although this helps me a
>bit I still can't predict where I am and when I next need to
>increase/decrease my basals. I need to change the basal rates very frequently
>(not at all confined to the last week) and it is very much trial and error.
>Bolus ratios are also affected.
>It occurs to me that if I could track what my hormones were doing day by day
>I would have a real chance of getting decent control. As ever, I've had no
>help whatsoever from the medical profession, so thought I'd ask fellow
>pumpers for ideas. Dreaming I know, but a simple home test which could track
>hormone levels would help no end.

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)