[IPk] Lantus

All I have to say about glargine, seemingly the next big panacea for type 1
(if you ask the NHS), is that it makes me very nervous. For 6+ years I have
had at least 4 basal profiles at any given time. Sometimes the difference
between the greatest and least of them is .4u/hour...which makes a BIG
difference! I can adjust a 6-hour basal profile by .1u/hour and see a
dramatic difference in my bg. I dunno exactly how such a small adjustment
can have such a drastic effect, but it does.

I used to wish that Humalog had been available when I started pumping so
that I wouldn't have had to use Buffered Regular for a couple of years (not
that BR was terrible at all, but Humalog is way cooler in a pump). Now I am
grateful that I started pumping so long ago that if anyone wants to put me
on glargine he/she will have to pry my pump from my cold, dead hands!

Seriously, I think glargine sounds all right for a middle-aged man with a
predictable day job (i.e., no monthly hormone chaos and completely regular
eating/activity patterns), or maybe a retired, post-menopausal woman (i.e.,
no monthly hormone chaos and completely regular eating/activity patterns).
But if faced with anyone who does/eats different things on a daily basis or
has an operational menstrual cycle, I'd be REALLY careful with Lantus.

IDDM 9+ years; MiniMed pumper 6+ years