Re: [IPk] Attitudes of Health professionals RE funding

>The main thing that really annoys me is the fact that, and correct if I'm
>wrong here, but reading into this, it seems to bhge the case that a pump will
>only be made available if the patient does not respond to the various
>insulins, including glargine. Basically, you have to be resistant to all the
>insulins and in hospital frequently due to hypo's/hypers to qualify.

The way I read the NICE documents, it's not a case of 'resistance' to
the insulins (i.e. needing huge doses) but that they don't fit your
digestion or basal rates - dawn phonomenon being the obvious one, but
very different needs for a few hours after exercise, or at different
points in the menstrual cycle would all qualify.

The 'hospitalized' by hypers/hypos is probably putting it a bit
strongly.  but what's to stop someone dialling 999 every time they get
above 20 or below 2?

Best wishes,

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)