Re: [IPk] Re Attitude of Health Care Professionals

> * Could 'we' put together a portfolio of case studies which could be
> presented to the consultant or the team when approached about using a
> Could we identify people's profession?

I'd certainly be willing  to put in mine!
only thing is if we include extracts of emails I have a tendancy to mouth
off about some medics !
> * Could those medical people amongst you advise on a better way of
> approaching consultants? I know they are likely to say that they haven't
> time to read through reams of documentation. I know they're human and
> therefore individuals but...?

Sound like you know exactly what you are talking about. Have an answer to
every concievable argument. Some will not be swayed anyway becasue they
dislike change, fear any increase in workload or feel that their patients
don't deserve a life!. Some will be converted. I believe that those already
on a pump who move to another centre have a valuable role in swaying
opinions ( this is something which I will be doing shortly: I spoke to 2
DSNs at 2 local hospitals, both very approachable but one was of the
attitude" well we wouldn't be able to give you the appropriate support" the
other was" well we have one patient on a pump but she went else where for it
to be initiated. We'd certainly be happy to see you. We could learn". I
obviously felt that the second clniic would be better but perhaps the first
one needs a pumper to show them what it's all about!
> * Could we get information from those enlightened teams which do provide
> this option to say what was involved in being able to provide the service.
> How much time etc. The objection I've had is that 'it will be too labour
> intensive for just a few people' (I know all the counter arguments to that
> but my team hasn't heard them from another team - which makes it more

Gloucester have 30 + people. In reality it would probably be better to have
pump centres as long as every locality had access via NHS referrals. It
would be better for the inital changeover and support  although many of us
learnt solely with the help of  Disetronic/ Medtronic. It would certainly be
easier for out of hours cover and  those planning pregnancies or for example
recieving inpatient care could liase with the pump experts which could
smooth the path for them to retain control over thier own diabetes
> * What is the rule with articles on the insulin-pumpers site? Can we print
> off articles and use them? I know I've held on to a number of emails that
> people have written in the discussion group because they are particularly
> eloquent and informative. I haven't done anything with them but I do
> sometimes wish that I could state my son's case as clearly. I feel it
> be useful to 'hit' D.UK and many consultants out there with the strength
> feeling that is so well expressed in these emails yet at the same time I
> know we all feel safe writing in this group and I wouldn't want that to be
> jeopardised, so I don't know.
Ask me if you want to use any of mine. If I've made any really horrible
comments about medics (albeit anonymously) I will tone these down. We need
to sound eloquent but not embittered/ anti medic etc  (ok . ok I know I