Re: [IPk] Re Attitude of Health Care Professionals

email @ redacted writes:

> I really have a problem with the 'mainly behavioural' part. Yes, I know it's
> saying 'mainly' so it gives a bit of an opt out but I still find it a
> fairly
> damning (by implication) statement. Am I being touchy?
Hi Heather,

No, I don't think you are!  Do non-diabetics have to plan their lives around
when, what, how they can eat, work and exercise?  Do you have a behavioural
problem if you want to eat out with a friend at 3pm, rather than having a
sandwich at 12.30, or skip lunch altogether? Or if you fancy a lie-in after a
late night with friends or working half the night on a project?  OK, with the
older regimes (mainly once or twice daily injections) diabetics WERE
controlled by the diabetes - you went hypo if you couldn't eat by a certain
time and hyper if you tried to give less insulin to cover that -, and we
accepted and lived with (but hated) it.  Many rebelled against the rigid,
abnormal system and therein lies part of the attitude problem from
professionals.  Diabetics who wouldn't comply with the system were labelled
as having bad control because of behavioural problems, rather than making
desperate attempts to live normal lives.

But modern regimes allow a normal (or almost normal) lifestyle. So why is
this attitude prevailing? - it has to be ignorance.  But how do we overcome
this? It seems that many health care professionals have and are still being
taught values 20 years out of date. Why? How can we address this? - how about
members of this list forming a sub-group, perhaps in liaison with INPUT etc,
to attend key lay, nursing and medical conferences?

IDDM 30+yrs, 508 2+, ready to step onto soapbox!