Re: [IPk] Re Attitude of Health Care Professionals

----- Original Message -----
From: Heather Bowler <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2003 6:57 PM
Subject: [IPk] Re Attitude of Health Care Professionals

> I'm on an email list from D.UK and interestingly enough their email today
> I really have a problem with the 'mainly behavioural' part. Yes, I know
> saying 'mainly' so it gives a bit of an opt out but I still find it a
> damning (by implication) statement. Am I being touchy?
Well perhaps
if so, I'm touchy as well
plenty of people who have reasonable diet/ get some activity in and have
suboptimal control becasue they and their healthcare team do not understand
diabetes. Does behavioural mean breakfast at 8, lunch at 12, dinner at 6 and
bed at 10, with exactly half an hour of brisk walking at exactly the same
time evryday, no life, no career accepting you will spend much of your time
dribbling in a corner, no driving license, definately no sugar and one glass
of wine at Christmas if you are feeling really daring?
Yeah sodd it I'm touchy too
It's a bloody auto immune disease not a lifestyle disease and the metabolism
is a complex thing!

I'm afraid the only empowerment the NSF will give is "it's up to you , you
have the choice to lead a compromised quality of life now or have x
complication later. Even if you have the compromised life we can't guarantee
you won't get x" and the bullying, not good enough/ have to try harder
approach, making one feel guilty that they are a burden on the NHS and
society when in reality it is the other way round as the latter are failing
to provide that person's needs
i hope that DAFNE is pushed out and pumps do gain more recognition. And
thank G-d there are some people with a bit of spirit who refuse to
subordinate their life to DM