Re: [IPk] Attitudes of Health professionals RE funding

I agree wholeheartedly with all the comments so far and especially with
Abigail. You put it so well! I once had a consultant (a wonderful, clever,
kind person) who has had to unfortunately retire due to his own ill health.
He said, ' wrap the diabetes around your life not your life around the
diabetes' . I'm sure if he was still here then the pump issue in our PCT
would be further ahead than it is right now.
The main thing that really annoys me is the fact that, and correct if I'm
wrong here, but reading into this, it seems to bhge the case that a pump will
only be made available if the patient does not respond to the various
insulins, including glargine. Basically, you have to be resistant to all the
insulins and in hospital frequently due to hypo's/hypers to qualify. (The
cons I see now pointed ou that even if the pumps were ever made available on
the NHS then this would be the criteria). And, as you have said, they think
that glargine is the be all and end all of wonder drugs and can't go wrong
unless you let it!
Things in my local area are not helped by the antiquated atitude of many
others with DM 1. I approached the local DUK representative (at present there
is only a group locally for parents of children with DM1). Her response to
the question of a pump, and if she knew of anyone with a pump, was one of
absolute shock and horror! Like I'd suggested a trip to Mars or something!
NO! OH NO! That's just not done here. Why on earth would anyone want to use
something like a pump...with all that intervention and major surgery and
cost! Errrrrr.....I guess she had no idea! But no wonder. Unless the atitude
of the doctors changes and they can tell the patients the benefits and
exactly what it pertains then I guess we'll be stuck in the dark ages for
some time yet! Thank goodness for this group!
PS interestingly, though, it seems to be the diabetes consultants who are the
ones with a problem with the idea of pumps. I've lost count of how many times
I've seen other consultants in different medical fields, even professors at
the top of their field, dentists, etc., who ask if I've ever considered a
pump! Just a thought. Wonder if the consultants (diabetes) are told to down
play the issue?!