[IPk] Attitudes of Health professionals RE funding

Abigail I would agree wholeheartedly with you, when I got my first pump in
1988 the doctor had just returned from the US and had worked with pumps. She
was actually comparing the difference in her UK patients and how they were
not willing to take control or question their care ie far more passive than
our US counterparts at the time. I find it amazing that in all areas some
Drs still have such a commanding presence and they are so surprised that
patients should question THEIR decision.
I recently started a DM nursing course and again was alarmed at the attitude
of the nurses -who were a lot younger than me, the way they catagorise
people with our condition and were so willing to condemn people who do not
comply in their eyes (or else patronise which is why I did not admit to
being afflictrd!)  Pumps were barely mentioned and all the old eighties
arguments were gragged up, by doctors, pharmacists,dieticians and even a
midwife who is herself diabetic. Without giving away too much personal info
I did try to inform and correct them.  When you think this was a university
course as part of a degree module supposedly informing health professionals
on current trends I do not hold out much hope for NICE or the NSF.