Re: [IPk] Helen - insurance

hopefully things have changed! I did get on to DUK then and tell them about
the problems I had getting cover for the diabetes. They were going to look at
their recommended insurers and see what they had to say. Never heard any
more. But the person (I think it was a nurse) I spoke to at DUK said that if
the diabetes had been there for a certain lenght of time or more (I think it
was 15 years...not sure as it was a while ago, but something like that) then
a lot of companies wouldn't provide cover. I even offered to pay more but the
company said it just had a flat exclusion for 'long term' type 1 diabetes.
Can't remember which company it was. Just the one advertised and endorsed in
Balance at the time. As I say, I found a suitable company eventually but only
after a lot of refusals. This company has now, as far as i was told by
Swintons last year, issued a 'no new applications' rule for type 1 diabetes,
but re insured me as I hadn't had any claims previously. Hopefully that will
stay the same this year. Basically, it seems to be just through ignorance
that this happens.
BW Helen