Re: [IPk] NICE Funding

In a message dated 1/10/2003 10:45:39 PM GMT Standard Time, email @ redacted

> Thanks Mary. I get all confused with the HA's/PCT's etc and all the name
> changes! No accident I'm sure!
> Helen
Hi Helen,

I'm sure that Abi could give a better picture from her point of view - and
Abi, I don't mean any offence in my simple description - but here goes, very
simply. A PCT (Primary Care Trust) is a conglomerate of GP practices which
has its own budget and can commission services and pay for equipment that was
previously paid for elsewhere.  It can dictate what can be paid for and what
not to some extent.  Previously many services were funded by the local Health
Authority, but the system has changed to give more autonomy to Primary Care
(GPs). Your local Health Authority has very limited powers at present and
those it has will in the foreseeable future be concentrated at a strategic,
planning, level.  So no use approaching them for funding.  At present, pump
funding decisions are made mainly by your local PCT or Hospital Trust (the
conglomerate of hospitals providing a linked service in an area) - or you...

I hope this is of some help!

Mary (who works at what used to be a Health Authority)