Re: [IPk] NICE Funding

Just had an appt (yesterday) with the diabetes consultant at Lancaster Royal
Infirmary, a Dr Smith. He is very good and really easy to talk to and does
seem to know his stuff re control and the problems encountered etc. The last
time I was there he talked about the pump issue with me and changed my
regimen to lantus and Novorapid. He said last time that NICE were only
looking at funding the 'consumables' for the pump and not the pump itself.
Obviously, after talking to you all on here, I realised this was not the
case! Anyhow, again he mentioned it and said that they were waiting for the
NICE decision, but again, only on the consumables, not the pumps. I told him
that I believed the pumps were an issue, too, but he disagreed. Then he said
that even if NICE agreed to issue the pumps, the local HA (Morecambe Bay)
would insist on the patient buying their own pump. A DSN I spoke to recently
was angry as she said she had asked about training for the pump use, along
with the other DSN's, as they see it as a way forward, but the HA had closed
the door on the issue! (Arguing no adequate funding for pumpers or training)!

So, even though the drs and medical staff seem quite keen on the idea of pump
use here, the HA are not interested. I only know of one person (only through
hearing off someone else) in the area with a pump, a nurse, who has bought
and funded it all herself, something I just cannot afford to do. It seems so
wrong that it's another case of the postcode lottery taking control. Would
the NICE decision, if they agree to issue pumps, change this at all? Would a
HA have to comply?