Re: [IPk] Insulin without Injections

In message <email @ redacted>, Elizabeth OShea
<email @ redacted> writes
>Hi Joanne -
>>Whilst there, our doctor asked if i had received any information on the
>>"injection" free insulin which, apparently, is due to be released.
>Jet injectors have been around for a long time. They tend to cause bruising.
>It's possible the doctor could have been talking about one of those diabetes
>holy grails, insulin-by-tablet. That I know nothing about.
Or inhaled insulin?

But who cares about injections?  I'm not denying the problems of the
needle-phobic diabetics, or those allergic to the metals or needle
coatings, the pressureject is out there, and I understand works much
better now than the early models (o 'if the hypodermic syringe had been
invented _after_ these, it would have been described as a miraculous
leap forwards').  The real problems are
A) insulins are not fast enough acting,
b) insulins are not predictable enough
c) insulins with delayed peaks are not available

Best wishes to all,

(dm 30+, 508 1+)

For those of you with an academic/medical bent, can I recommend
'Integrated archaeology: a garbage paradigm' by William Rathje, in
'Archaeologies of the contemporary past' ed. Victor Buchli and Gavin
Lucas, Routledge, 2001?

It's about studies of the consumption of food ... and argues that
neither observation of what people do, nor their reportage of what they
do, nor a combination of the two, can beat a combination of the two with
an analysis of material traces (aka archaeology).  There's a re-analysis
of some work on high roughage diets and the prevention of bowel cancer,
among others.
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)