Re: [IPk] Drink and eating after

In message <email @ redacted>, email @ redacted
>I know you have probably heard this question loads of time and i hope you can
> help i drink lager normally fosters if i was going out and having say 5
> pints would you boulus for these and also what would you do if you ate after
> give full amount for the food or what.

The answer (as always) is: you need to experiment.  Do this in the
company of people who are knowelegable about diabetes, and sober.

Try it with one pint, two pints, etc.  Some people find that for one
pint they need to bolus, but they don't double it for 2, and for pints
after the 3rd, they don't bolus at all.  Some people find some drinks
have different effects (and goodness knows why, because they have the
same CHO, alcohol and water mix).

Anyway, knowing what your bgs would be if you didn't drink, by the hour
or half hour, and during the night ... try it with a pint.

Try at least twice at each level of consumption ...

Once you know what it does to your blood glucose, you can put in the
bolus you need.  You may find you need to set a different basal pattern
to cope with the slowed-down absorption of CHO.  Personally, I find
after drinking I need to use a smaller correction bolus, but otherwise,
everything is 'normal'.

Best wishes,

dm 30+, 508 9months+, cider drinker.

Pat Reynolds